You are here

Sourcing & Sustainability


SeaPak Shrimp & Seafood Company's sourcing and sustainability practices

Since 1948, SeaPak has been a trusted source for providing Americans with premium seafood products. As a seafood industry leader, we have strict quality, sourcing and sustainability standards for our products, including a commitment to source only from suppliers whose practices limit negative environmental impact. In addition, we will not exploit endangered species or draw from fisheries with a poor fish stock status. We work with a select group of suppliers who follow the most environmentally responsible harvesting practices, and we exercise strict oversight of every aspect of product procurement and processing.Fish and Oceans

At SeaPak, 50 percent of our seafood is wild-caught. We also rely on certified sustainable aquaculture because of the high demand for seafood and the fact that our oceans cannot satisfy even half of the consumer need. We believe responsible aquaculture is a viable solution for ensuring that seafood can be readily and affordably enjoyed, while maintaining the wild seafood population levels and ecosystems in the ocean for years to come.

We were a Founding Member of the Global Aquaculture Alliance (GAA), an international, nonprofit trade association dedicated to advancing environmentally and socially responsible aquaculture and a safe supply of seafood to meet growing world food needs. Organized in 1997, the GAA coordinates the development of Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP) certification standards.

The BAP certification standards require that the most-important elements of responsible aquaculture are met, along with guidelines for evaluating adherence to those practices. Compliance with BAP standards requires program participants to comprehensively address environmental and social responsibility, animal welfare, food safety, and traceability throughout their operations. Currently, 100 percent of SeaPak’s aquaculture products come from BAP-certified sources.

The BAP program is voluntary for aquaculture facilities and the BAP standards for seafood processing plants are among the most-comprehensive certification systems. SeaPak’s Brownsville, Texas, manufacturing plant is proud to be BAP certified to process shrimp and tilapia. Eighty-five percent of SeaPak products are processed in Brownsville, while the remaining 15 percent is produced in two other countries – Ecuador and Thailand – to maintain product authenticity and quality. In addition, the Brownsville plant is certified by the British Retail Consortium (BRC), the global retail authority that establishes benchmarks for best quality and safety practices within the food industry.

SeaPak also strives to source wild-caught seafood from suppliers certified by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) or its equivalent.  The MSC is the world's leading certification body for sustainable, wild-caught seafood.  The nonprofit, international organization's goal is “to transform the world's seafood markets and promote sustainable seafood practices."

SeaPak's lineup of shrimp products includes Jumbo Butterfly Shrimp, Popcorn Shrimp, Shrimp Scampi, Shrimp Spring Rolls, Shrimp Poppers, Tempura Shrimp and Coconut Shrimp. Approximately 75 percent of our core shrimp raw material (wild-caught or farmed shrimp) is sourced either in the United States or in Central America and/or South America. The remaining 25 percent, which is sourced from Thailand, China, Indonesia and Vietnam balances our shrimp supply needs and helps us guard against interruptions in supply due to unforeseen climate issues or other external conditions, such as shifts in consumer demand.

Other SeaPak products include some of the finest salmon, tilapia, pollock and crab products on the market today.

The salmon used in the delicious and popular SeaPak Salmon Burgers is wild-caught Alaskan salmon, which is combined with all-natural ingredients (also produced in the United States), and produced in our Brownsville plant.

The BAP-certified tilapia used in SeaPak's Tilapia Tenders is sourced from China, which is home to nearly 90 percent of the world's frozen tilapia supply. Our tilapia is raised in remote, pristine, freshwater lakes by the most-respected fish farmers in China.

Thailand is the source of the blue swimming crab used in SeaPak Maryland Style Crab Cakes. The country is renowned for having the best-quality blue crab in the world. The taste and texture of blue swimming crab from Thailand is unsurpassed.

The SeaPak Shrimp and Seafood Company, owned by Rich Products Corporation, has been using coastal secrets and recipes to make great-tasting shrimp and seafood for more than 60 years. From mouthwatering Jumbo Butterfly Shrimp and Popcorn Shrimp to delicious Salmon Burgers and Shrimp Scampi, SeaPak brings the “Taste of the Coast” to tables across the country. For more information on certification agencies and standards mentioned above, please visit,, and